Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 7 - Laguna de Apoyo, Grenada, and Monkey Island

It is so hard to believe that today was our last day in Nicaragua. At the same time, because we have packed so much into the week, it feels like we have been here much longer than a week. Here is Kiersten’s (aka Kiki’s) perspective on the day…

“Hey all! So, I have the pleasure of writing the last day’s blog…I hope to not disappoint! As for the day, on our travels to Granada we stopped and saw Laguna de Apoyo, a huge crater lake with the brightest blue waters. We stood on top of a cliff that overlooked the lake, the city of Granada and Lake Nicaragua just on the other side of the city. This place was more beautiful than most scenery I think we saw during the trip. Yogi (Claire Scott) and I welcomed the strong winds with open arms as we stood there. See picture J. Scenes like that remind me how small I really am, in control of pretty much nothing. However, it’s a much welcomed feeling, where compared to in the U.S. I should probably be admitted to C.F.A (Control Freaks Anonymous)…Thank you Nicaragua!

Our next stop was Granada where we enjoyed a nice lunch and a bit of shopping. Granada is a bit more tourist-prone than any other town we’ve been to thus far. The architecture here is unbelievable, so gorgeous. Hard to stop taking pictures! I think everyone is so captivated by the town, or maybe just by all the coffee we bought…Anyway, at 3:00 pm we went sailing to Monkey Island on Lake Nicaragua, where I and a few others jumped on the opportunity to have a monkey possibly come on to our boat. I thought twice about it because our tour guide told us to “be careful of any loose jewelry” and if you know me, the monkeys probably would have taken me captive. However, the one that slinked on to our boat was indifferent to my jewelry and headed straight for the food. He knows what’s up. It was hilarious watching coach try to dodge the monkey trying to crawl on her back. Oh, the memories we will take away! Riding around on the boat on Lake Nicaragua was breathtaking. I just felt at ease being in the surroundings of the scattered islands and greenery growing into the lake. Some of the little islands were even for sale. Mom, I think I know where we should move next. Yes, please! I’m telling you guys, those moments were the moments I’d have to say, “you’d have to be there.” I don’t think anything captures that kind of beauty.

I’m not even really sure how to sum up the last day here in Nicaragua. Peaceful I guess would be right. There is something very indescribable about what I’ve seen here. I know that we’re tourists, and it is expected that we are ohhing and awing at every new sight. In addition, there is something very beautiful about being here and peaceful in this place. Today was something new, something fun, something sweet, and something peaceful. Whatever it was about today, I am grateful for it. Nicaragua, thank you for all that you have offered to us. It was something beautiful.”























We will be back on American soil the next time that we write. We will be back to our everyday lives, but I am confident that we will all have some different perspectives on those lives. Many of us are already beginning to think of ways to return and ways that we can help some of the people that we met. We have all been inspired by the work that Brooke, Mara and so many other volunteers are doing here and touched by the graciousness of our new Nicaraguan friends. It is almost impossible to adequately thank everyone who made this experience possible. From CJ for putting the idea of Nicaragua in my head, to Tim for creating such wonderful tours, to our administration at Berry for allowing us this opportunity, to all of the parents and supporters who supported our efforts, to Brooke, Jo, Mara, CJ, and Linda who helped make it such a memorable trip, we are grateful to everyone for allowing us to have such an incredible experience as a team. Hasta la proxima!!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog....far from disappointing! Thanks so much for the descriptions and the detail. Can't wait to the see pics...and I'm soooo glad you're back. Hang in there! Love, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome trip! I enjoyed the blog very much. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete